World animal day is celebrated on October 4. The mission of World Animal Day, according to the official World Animal Day website is “To raise the status of animals in order to improve welfare standards around the globe.” The issues and concepts are too many, ranging from abandoned pets and animal cruelty, to fur trade and consumption of meat.
The issues are too many, and if you are involved in animal welfare in any way, you simply don’t know where to begin, what to speak for and what to do first. But this a blog dedicated to pets, and since today I am in a good mood, I only want to look at the bright side of things, so I won’t be bothering you with heartbreaking images and overwhelming numbers.
I only want to talk about adoption, so here are some reasons to adopt a friend, instead of buying one:
Recycling (that sounds weird). Thousands of healthy dogs and cats are being euthanized each day while thousands of new pets are being born for you to buy. It is ridiculous. Adopt one that is already there.
2. It is becoming a trend (or I want it to be…). Bragging about adopting or rescuing your best friend is taking over. In 2016 adoption is the thing to do. Don’t be the person who is being looked down on at the dog park, when you say that you paid a ridiculous amount of money for a dog.
3. You can find exactly what you were looking for. Shelter animals come in all shapes, colors, sizes and characters than you could ever imagine. Visit your local shelter, talk to them about how your lifestyle is like and -if they are good at what they do- they will guide you towards the right direction.
4. A dog you adopt will not love you more than a dog you buy, but doing so will make you feel better. This is a fact.
5. Ryan Gosling did it!
6. Their transformation will leave you speechless and will have you talking about it for years.
7. They have absolutely no behavioral problems. The problems lie within the people who abandoned them. Rescue dogs and cats are funny, loving, loyal pets.
8. Almost all shelter dogs and cats are already social. If you buy a dog, you will need to go through socialization training, but shelter animals live with each other 24/7. They are socialized to begin with.
9. They are unique! Most rescue animals are mix breeds, which means that they do not look like any other.
10. They are healthier! Mix breeds are healthier, and this is a fact. They are a product of natural selection and nature knows a lot better than a snotty nosed breeder who chooses mates for his purebreds.
*11. Make a rescuer happy! No reason to make someone who profits from animals happy. No reason at all!
ps: Thanks for letting me use you photo in the cover again Elizabeth!